ARTICLE 1 – NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Eastern Transportation Knowledge Network and shall be known by the acronym ETKN.
ARTICLE 2 – OBJECTIVES
The objectives of this Network are to:
- To facilitate communication and collaboration among network members
- Provide leadership in all areas of information services and resource sharing
- Exchange knowledge of new and improved tools that benefit the transportation community
- Ensure access to and preservation of all participating institutions’ information products
To accomplish these objectives, the Network shall:
- Provide a forum for the exchange of ideas among members
- Develop mechanisms to improve access to transportation related information resources
- Plan and implement additional cooperative programs as determined by the Network
- Collaborate with other library networks and organizations in pursuing the objectives of the Network
ARTICLE 3 – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1 – Members
Full Member – Any entity with an organized collection of transportation related documents and a staff to access and share said collection, and located within AASHTO Regions 1 and 2 can become a member of the Network. Full members shall have full voting status.
Affiliate Member – Any entity with a substantial stake in the transportation community, with or without an organized collection, located within AASHTO Regions 1 and 2 can request an affiliate status. Affiliate members can contribute to discussions but will not be able to vote.
Friends – Anyone interested in observing the developments and initiatives of the ETKN in order to further the development of their transportation-related organization, and that is located within AASHTO Regions 1 and 2 can become a friend of the Network. While friends do not have voting rights, they are encouraged to participate in discussions, attend meetings, and communicate and collaborate with all other members of the network.
Section 2 – Eligibility
Eligibility for membership and membership designation shall be determined by a majority vote of the Executive Committee.
Section 3 – Membership Withdrawal or Removal
- Withdrawal – An entity may withdraw from the organization by giving the Executive Committee written notice of intent to withdraw.
- Removal – An entity may be removed from membership by a two-thirds majority vote of the membership.
If you are interested in joining ETKN, contact the Membership Committee Chair
ARTICLE 4 – MEETINGS
Section 1 – Frequency
- The membership shall meet at least once each calendar year to conduct the business of the Network. This meeting will accommodate distance conferencing technologies to facilitate and encourage the participation of those unable to attend in person.
- Periodic meetings may be called during the year to share information and conduct any non-routine business that may arise. These meetings may be called by the Chair, by general consensus of the membership, or by a majority decision of the Executive Committee. (See Article 6)
Section 2 – Quorum
A simple majority of full members shall be necessary to conduct a vote at a business meeting.
Section 3 – Voting
There shall be one vote per member entity on all matters put before the membership. Proxies may be designated. All actions, except removal from membership and changes to these bylaws that receive a simple majority vote in favor of the action shall be considered as approved. Votes may be conducted at meetings, by mail or electronically.
ARTICLE 5 – OFFICERS
- The officers shall consist of a Chair, a Vice-Chair, and a Recording Secretary. The Vice-Chair shall be the Chair-Elect.
- The Vice-Chair shall be elected by the membership at the annual business meeting. The Vice-Chair of the previous calendar year shall become the Chair.
- In the event the Chair is unable to fulfill his/her duties, the Vice-Chair will assume the duties of the Chair. The Executive Committee shall appoint a Vice-Chair.
- The tenure of office for all officers shall be the calendar year following the annual meeting at which elections are held.
Section 2 – Duties
- The Chair shall be the principal officer of the Network. The Chair shall:
- Preside at all meetings of the Network.
- Preside at meetings and coordinate the activities of the Executive Committee.
- Appoint Committee Chairs as needed during term of office.
- Serve as ex-officio member of all committees.
- Perform other duties appropriate to Chair of the Network.
- The Vice-Chair shall be designated Chair-Elect. The Vice-Chair shall
- Perform the duties of the Chair in the absence of the Chair.
- Become Chair for any unexpired term as defined by Article 5, Section 1 (3).
- The Past Chair, upon completion of a term as Chair, shall assist the Chair with any projects as needed.
- The Recording Secretary will record the minutes of the teleconferences and the meetings and assist with other tasks upon request of the Chair. The Recording Secretary is also responsible for archiving ETKN documents on the collaboratory work space.
ARTICLE 6 – EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Section 1 – Composition
The Executive Committee shall consist of the Chair, Vice-Chair, immediate past Chair, Recording Secretary, the Director of the National Transportation Library or the director’s designee, and the Chair or designee of each working committee.
Section 2 – General Powers
The Executive Committee shall execute the decisions of the members, actively pursue the organization’s goals, and act as the official channel of communication between the Network and other organizations.
Section 3 – Meetings
The Executive Committee shall meet at the discretion of the Chair. It shall also meet upon the demand of a majority of the active full members of ETKN.
ARTICLE 7 – COMMITTEES
Section 1 – Creation and Dissolution
Working committees to carry out activities to further the goals and programs of the Network shall be created and dissolved by the Executive Committee or by majority vote of the membership.
Section 2 – Structure and Membership
The structure and size of these working committees shall be determined in the same manner used in their formation.
ARTICLE 8 – AMENDMENTS
Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of the members. An amendment can be proposed by any member by providing a copy of the proposed amendment to the Network Chair. The Chair shall distribute the proposed amendment to members of the Network for review. No later than one month following receipt of the proposed amendment, the Chair shall conduct a vote of the membership on the proposed amendment. The Executive Committee may recommend to the membership adoption or rejection of the amendment.